#1 Probate & Estate Planning Attorney In Colorado Springs
The Law Firm of Tammy W. Akers, LLC was founded in 2008 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Focusing on the law of Estate Planning, Probate, Wills & Trusts, and Family, the experts at Akers Law will treat you and your case with compassion and honesty.
When should I hire an Estate Planning Lawyer? What can an Estate Planning Lawyer do for me?
It is never too soon to hire an Estate Planning Lawyer. If you are an adult who has assets that you would like to pass along to loved ones upon your death, then it is never too early to start creating an estate plan. An Estate Planning Lawyer can work with you to create all documents and directives that might be a part of a comprehensive estate plan. Read more
We Treat Clients
When Should I Hire A Family Law Attorney?
Because different attorneys specialize in an array of different areas of law, you might be confused about which type of lawyer you should call on various occasions. family law covers a number of family issues.
- Divorce- The first thing you should do when you consider separation or divorce is speak to an attorney from a Family Law Firm. Divorce is rarely a cut and dry process. Many issues can arise, such as child custody, child support and visitation, and division of property. Hiring an experienced Family Law Attorney will ensure that the divorce goes smoothly.
- Guardianship- Often a parent or parents are not able to adequate care of their children. When this happens, it might be best to select a guardian who can make decisions regarding the child's welfare. A Family Law Attorney will be able to guide you through the legal paperwork and process to appoint the guardian.
- Domestic Abuse- When it has become unsafe to stay with your partner or spouse, a Family Lawyer will help you with the legal procedures to keep you and your children safe from harm.
- Child Adoption-A Family Law Attorney will guide you through the adoption process from beginning to end.
In addition to assisting with family issues, a Family Law Attorney will also file important family documents and give advice. Documents such as a Power of Attorney are completed by Family Lawyers. They will also help create estate plans and wills, in addition to forming civil unions and domestic partnerships.
If you have a family issue and need advice, an experienced Family Law Attorney at the Law Firm of Tammy W. Akers, LLC will guide you through any of the above processes and so much more. If you live in or near Colorado Springs, CO, call (719) 988-3884 for a consultation.
What Is Included In An Estate Plan?
While an estate plan can range from very simple directives to planning every minute detail of your wishes for your family once you can no longer express them, there are four key elements that should be included in every estate plan. A reputable Estate Planning Law Firm will assist you in revisiting and revising your personalized estate plan throughout your life to reflect any life changes, such as marriage, children, divorce, business partnerships, etc.
- Last Will And Testament- The Will allows you to make clear how you wish for your assets to be distributed after your death.
- Healthcare Power Of Attorney And Living Will- A Healthcare Power of Attorney is a legal document that states who you would like to make your medical decisions in your place should you become unable to do so yourself. A living will gives medical personnel your wishes regarding life support and other life-saving measures should you become incapacitated and unable to speak for yourself.
- Financial Power Of Attorney- The Financial Power of Attorney is a legal document that names the person you would like to make your financial decisions for you should you become incapacitated.
- Establish A Trust- A trust is a legal entity that owns your assets. Those assets are distributed according your wishes stated in the legal documents creating the trust.
“I worked with Ms. Akers on a very contentious divorce case where I sold their home and she represented the husband. I was so impressed with her level headedness, her expertise, and quick response to every kink that came along during this process. And, believe me, she had everything.."
– Jill M.Review From Avvo
“I feel absolutely confident in hiring Mrs Akers for legal representation. I look forward to all of her help in the case I am currently in with her. She is very knowledgeable and her Paralegal is very helpful as well. The sense of comfort I have knowing she's running things is amazing.”
– GreggReview From Avvo
“I would recommend her to anyone going through divorce child custody.. great communication. Honest listens to concerns. Helped me through the whole process step by step. Made this process understandable. And made it easier to get through”
– MontanaReview From Avvo
What To Know About Creditors And Probate
Creditors And Probate When navigating the probate process, handling the decedent’s debts is unavoidable. That means dealing with creditors, which can be difficult even without the grief that comes with the loss of a loved one.… Read More
Simple Ways To Avoid Probate
Probate is a lengthy, stressful process, and many people assume they’ll have to deal with the probate process. However, there are ways to avoid probate, especially when you have a probate attorney on your side. Akers… Read More
How Creditors Can Affect Probate In Colorado
How Creditors Can Affect Probate In Colorado Notifying and paying creditors are central parts of the Colorado probate process. In fact, Colorado probate code establishes very specific rules for how and when an estate’s personal representative… Read More
How To Find Us?
We’re Always Here To Help You Every Step Of The Way With All Your Probate, Estate Planning & Family Law Needs. Contact Us Today!
Office Location: 18 E Willamette Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: (719) 988-3884
Monday - Friday (09:00am - 05:00pm)
(Other times by appointment only)
Schedule A Free Consultation
Fill Out The Contact Form, Or Simply Stop By Our Office. We’re Always Ready And Willing To Answer Your Questions. Contact Us Today!
When Should I Hire A Probate Lawyer?
The estate. Losing a loved one to death is a very stressful and emotional time, and it might help alleviate some of the confusion of probate court if you hire a probate attorney. An experienced Probate Lawyer already knows the process of probate court and can anticipate the next step.If you have questions about whether you need a Probate Lawyer on your side after losing a loved one, it is best to consult with an experienced Probate Law Firm before deciding to navigate the probate process on your own. It could save you time, money, and frustration. If you live in or near Colorado Springs, CO, reach out to an expert in Probate Law at the Law Firm of Tammy W. Akers, LLC.
What Does A Probate Lawyer Do?
A lawyer who works in Probate will guide the estate executor through any and all paths of probate court once their loved one has passed away. How involved the probate attorney is with the case depends on how extensive the assets are, whether an estate plan had been created, and how detailed the estate plan is. Another incident that could impact a probate attorney’s involvement is whether the estate plan is contested by an outside party, which could lead to possible litigation.
In most cases, the probate law firm will handle the daily activities or processes that are required by law during probate. This will take some of the responsibility out of the executor’s hands. Some of the tasks that your Probate Lawyer might carry out are:
- Managing the estate checking account
- Collecting proceeds from life insurance policies
- Identifying and distributing estate assets
- Getting appraisals completed for the decedent’s property
- Helping to determine how to pay bills and debts of the deceased
- Completing and filing all documents required by a probate court
- Determining any and all estate or inheritance taxes that are due and ensuring those debts are paid
- Resolving income tax issues
- Legally transferring assets to the appropriate beneficiaries
- Making a final disbursement of assets to beneficiaries after all bills and taxes have been paid
The above list are the basic Probate Lawyer responsibilities, not an exhaustive list. If you have other issues that you think a Probate Lawyer might be able to assist with, call an experienced Probate Attorney at the Law Offices of Tammy W. Akers. Read more